Monday, April 22, 2024

What kind of feedback you should give at the gym.....

     In our loosely tied together coaching series we have went over goals, reinforcement, and how to teach new lifters techniques in the gym. Now we can cover how feedback can be expressed when working with someone. Since, I'm using this blog to study for a test there is going to be book definitions. Bear with me for a bit as typing these out actually helps me studying, and since this is my blog I get to do what I want! (sarcasm). After the book definitions I'll break it down barney style.

    Intrinsic feedback is sensory feedback from the lifter themselves. How did that feel? How did your body react? I've had moments in the gym where I really do not want to be there. When you go at 5am.....some mornings are rougher than others. Last Thursday for example I was supposed to back squat four sets of five at roughly 87% of my 1RM. Since I do not have a 1RM since I don't have any spotters I estimated, but for practice building a plan I input the percentages. Anyway, I loaded up the bar, lifted the weight, went down for the first rep and didn't have it in me. Just had that blah feeling. Due to Intrinsic feedback, I cut down on the weight and lifted four sets of three. Did I maximize my time at the gym? nope. Did I get some work in? Yes. Veteran gym goers call this Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE). RPE refers in how did that lift feel? Most of the time it can be applied to aerobic training, but the principles apply.

    Augmented feedback is feedback from a coach, video or a gym partner. Recording your squat to check technique and bar path are good examples of augmented feedback. Those who record for social media purposes are kind of using augmented feedback unintentionally. Programs such as dartfish can be used on a smart phone to really analyze movement patterns. Mirrors can also be used for augmented feedback as well. When you're lifting with another person, and you ask them to check squat depth that is augmented feedback.

    When feedback is presented immediately the performance tends to increase and learning tends to go down. If I may tie this to a previous post that is an example of positive reinforcement. In-between reps with a compliment are immediate feedback. On the other hand, feedback after the set increases learning while performance is halted (to a degree). This tool can be used when beginner lifters are learning a new movement or skill. 

    Two other vocabulary terms that are associated with feedback are knowledge of the result, and knowledge of performance. Knowledge of the result are the results themselves. Completing a set of 315 is knowledge of the result. Comparing that number with other lifters also applies to knowledge of the result. Knowledge of performance is more movement/body position based. Applying the same example of squatting 315 knowledge of the performance would be hitting the desired squat depth. Or if I'm using video then ensuring the bar path is correct is another example of knowledge of the performance.             

No comments:

Post a Comment